follow me
HostFission
Community Project

Author Topic: [Update] How to edit dds Texture files.  (Read 10609 times)

Brusefarless

• View Profile
[Update] How to edit dds Texture files.
« on: August 06, 2016, 10:15:58 pm »
Hello everyone I am very pleased to tell you how to edit your Life is Feudal: Your Own textures. you will need a few things before you start editing them. there are a few files that are jpg's and png's, but we all know why you're reading this post.

It is not because you want to edit your inv' background. That's easy. you want to edit your characters, clothing/skin or buildings just the way you want it to be. first off you need to get gimp at http://www.gimp.org/ then download that after words you want to get a plug in that will allow you to edit your dds files you have to download the gimp dds plugin at http://registry.gimp.org/node/70 then you have to go-to your E:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins or where ever you installed your gimp. I installed it in the E drive as this is my biggest drive.

Then drop the dds.exe file within the folder, then restart gimp if you have it running. make sure when you edit any file to make it flat by hitting the "Image" toolbar button, then go down the list and hit "Flatten Image. not doing so will result in an error that states this file is a volume map file and the images are not the same size. also make sure before editing any file to make a backup folder. put this folder some place out of the life is feudal folded.

As I'm not sure if when the game updates it will remove them. Also, if you want to keep copies as when the game gets updated it will delete your custom files so also make sure you put tears in a separate folder in your backup files and name them something like custom texture. it is also good if you made a whole root and sub root files so you just have to drop your files in at a later time. now that I'm done stressing about that.

I can get to the second plugin you have to download. go-to http://registry.gimp.org/node/69 and download that file as well and follow those instructions. I did not have the GTK folder so I just put all the files in my plugin folder again the plugin folder is lactated at E:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins or where ever you installed your game. if you do not have the GTK folder please put them in your plugin folder. if you do have this folder I would suggest to put those files in there instead.

So after you have the last plugin file in its respected area. if you're editing a file that has a normalmap file that goes with it. You also need to make a normalmap file for this as well.

Unless you're making the regular DDs file transparent 3 if you know what I mean lol. then you don't have to touch the Normalmap file. if you are not making it transparent, then you have to convert the regular dds file into a normalmap file instead.

I would go through and explain how to do this. and I will also give you a video I watched to do it as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCpB13PP8I. first off to make this work you have to tweak the file w bit to make it a normalmap file. You first have to make the file back and white by clicking on the "Colors" Tool Bar button, then go down the list and hit the "Desaturate" button. then it will have a window pop up.

It will have Lightness selected default. if not, check it so it will. after that you need to hit the "Filter" Tool Bar button.

After that you need to go down the list until you find the "Map" option. then go into that list and find the "Normalmap" button. then a window will pop up and you go threw the Volume control. if you're editing a character skin just remember, the more rough and fine it looks the more your character look like a lizard. so if you're editing your character make sure it looks smooth, but not enough so you can't see any detail in your character. and keep changing it until you get it to a right smooth level you want.

The best way to test it out is instead going on the server. just hit make a new character. you can see it there without ever having to go into a server. you will have to restart your game after etch test though.

Before saving your file if you have not already flatten your file I would do it now. but if you're editing this from the regular file you should of already done this step also when you want to save your character. instead of saving it just "Export as" button in the "File" toolbar button. then select the files you're replacing.

If your making the Normal map file make sure you replace the normalmap file instead of the regular file your was editing.

Congratulations, you have made custom content for your Life is Feudal: Your Own. If you have any problems, please message me and I will try my best to help you!

P.s this is my custom content. if you like it please message me for the file

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:33:21 pm by Brusefarless »

CewHit76

• Administrator

• Stay a LRRP, stay alive!

• Personal Text
    LRRP Founder
    • View Profile
Re: [Update] How to edit dds Texture files.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:34:16 am »
Those outfits look a lot nicer than the default outfits. Very nice work!! It would be awesome if you could design some that could be used by a group or kingdom. Could you modify the Tabards as well?

Brusefarless

• View Profile
Re: [Update] How to edit dds Texture files.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 01:53:24 am »
I could. but the tabards can already be modified in the guild monument. could you explain why i would need to edit them? if your asking if i could make tabards for a specified group then i would actually have to add a new outfit to the game before i could do that. in all i would need juggy's help in that.

anything